Monday, April 11, 2011

Originally posted here.

I just finished River Marked by Patricia Briggs. This is the sixth book of the Mercy Thompson series.

My Rating: ★★★

I love the Mercy Thompson books, so I went into this one with high expectations. And it was good; it just wasn't great.

Pros-

It's a Mercy Thompson book. That alone put it on my instant read list. I adore Mercy's world and the characters within. Briggs has created a truly wonderful and enjoyable universe for us to enjoy.

As always in this series, Briggs displays her strength as a great author. I don't remember any scene that I had to re-read or puzzle through. She paints such a vivid picture with her words that I barely noticed that I was reading. It felt like I was there.

Great characters. Really, do I need to say more?

Cons-

River Marked takes Mercy (and one other major character) out of the Tri-Cities and away from the pack, her friends, etc. It's missing (or there was only very brief appearances of) several side characters we've come to love. Her characters are so interesting that I missed them. Their absence lessened my enjoyment of this book. We meet new minor characters, but the rapport I had with the others is not there.

I found one scene unnecessary and particularly disturbing. ((SPOILER)) Did Briggs need to have the scenes with the children? Yes, I know it was for emotional impact, but I have a personal problem with parents (real or in fiction) killing their children. I understand she was controlled, but it truly disturbed me. Too many times in real life, parents (or people in a position of trust) have murdered children. Before I had my daughters that sort of news saddened me, but now it horrifies me. Thinking about those scenarios bothers me for days sometimes. I did not enjoy reading it, albeit in fiction.((END SPOILER))

I enjoyed River Marked, but it is not the best Mercy Thompson book.

No comments: