Monday, April 11, 2011

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Originally posted here.

Last month, I got my hands on a copy of Grimspace by Ann Aguirre.

My Review: ★★★★

I really enjoyed this one. It's a very gritty, down and dirty narrative. The author writes as Jax thinks it: incomplete sentences, self-deprecitating comments, smart-ass thoughts. Unlike several "smart-ass" heroines, I really got a sense of Jax. And a huge point in her favor, I never wished she'd just shut up. Some authors try for smart-ass, and only get bitchy or whiney. Ann Aguirre pulls Jax off wonderfully. Jax isn't perfect. Far from it. There are several occasions where she points out how broken she is. It works. Jax is an engaging person to read about, and care for.

I wish Aguirre had added a few more descriptions, especially with the few aliens we're introduced to. One, the Morguts, I didn't have any real mental picture of at all. Other times, the narration lost me and I didn't quite understand how Jax made certain jumps in logic.

The story's not terribly original: big, bad corporation has a nasty secret; good guys (don't realise it for most of the book but) know the secret and are moving to stop the corporation; things go from bad to worse; etc, etc, you know the rest. Yes, it's a great story. I enjoyed reading it. But unfortunately, it's not all that original. I had a real good idea how they were going to win at the end. I was right.

I really liked this book and recommend it, although it's not for hard-core sci-fi readers. Too many little details glossed over. It focuses more on the action, than the science. I will read the rest of the series.

No comments: