Thursday, June 2, 2011

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 8, Vol 2)

I'm continuing my Buffy the Vampire fix by devouring the Season 8 comics I received free to review from NetGalley. I am so very, very glad Joss Whedon decided to continue the show, albeit in a different medium. I just finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Vol 2).

My Rating: ★★★★★

The main story arc of this graphic novel follows Faith as she completes a mission for Giles. I've always loved her character, and I enjoyed following her story. She is still struggling to better herself and having lapses. Faith is a wounded soul, but not lost. She has taken up the responsibility of doing the dirty and thankless jobs that the new slayers just aren't ready for. In the opening scene of this book, a single mom has become a vampire. Faith is sent in to check on her children, who have all been turned as well. She's forced to slay several children (vampire children, but children nonetheless). It obviously disturbs her, but she still does it. We get the feeling this is not the first time she's done something she hates. Giles offers Faith a way out, if she'll do one last job. It's a great catching up with Faith.


Pros -

This is all about Faith. Buffy shows up, but Faith is definitely the main character. I've always enjoyed Faith, as both protagonist and antagonist. There are so much history and depth to her. She's always been one of my favorite characters.

Like the first graphic novel, the artwork is amazing. All the characters look like their actors. This wouldn't be near so enjoyable if the illustrations weren't so well done.

Also like the first graphic novel, Joss Whedon's humor shines through. There were many moments where I actually laughed out loud. I adore his humor.


Cons -

At first I couldn't really think of one, but I settled for the antagonist. She was a bit one dimensional. Her main reason for being there was to be a mirror for Faith to see herself in. But she had no real motivation other than wanting power because she could take it.


Overall, I loved this graphic novel. It's definitely for Buffy fans, and a must read for anyone who enjoyed Faith's character.

No comments: