Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 8, Vol 1)

Several years ago, a tragedy occurred on television: an amazing show was canceled after seven wild and wonderful years. Well, Buffy the Vampire Slayer lives on! Enter the official Season 8 comics, now collected in several graphic novels. NetGalley has provided me with several to review. I just finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Vol. 1).

My Rating: ★★★★

Thank you, Joss Whedon, for bringing Buffy back to us. The television show was my first experience with urban fantasy and lead to my current obsession with it. I have missed Buffy, the characters, humor, the world, everything. Reading this was like coming home after a long trip away. All Buffy fans need to read this.

Pros -

It's Buffy. Not only is it Buffy, it's by the original mastermind Joss Whedon himself. His trademark humor is peppered throughout, and reads just like watching an episode. It picks up after the seventh season, with all the history and characters present. It truly is the eighth season. Everything I loved about the television series is here.

The artwork captures the actors almost perfectly. There was only one person who I had to puzzle out which character he was (and honestly, his character could be considered very minor at best). Everyone else was drawn spot on.

Cons -

The story was good, but not amazing. I'm not sure how it could have been better, but it did not completely grip me. It was still enjoyable though.


I recommend this to all Buffy fans. Because of the extensive supporting cast, and history, it'd be very difficult for readers who don't know the universe to enjoy this as much.

2 comments:

Katja Rinne said...

Me loves. <3

It's kinda great though, since they're able to do so much more as a comic.

I don't really like the way Buffy has gone though. :/

Sidne said...

from the book club. i remember buffy, was not a regular season watcher but if nothing else was interesting i would watch and I enjoyed most of the episodes i did watch. I love it when a good season show comes back and with its original characters.